In the trend to sustain and succeed simultaneously, companies are following a strict and scheduled strategy which also puts a tremendous workload on the employees. This immense pressure to perform extraordinarily not only gradually affects the skills of the employees but also the overall performance of the organization. To keep the workplace alive and thriving, autonomy is the key factor in creating employee engagement. Autonomy simply defines the control of the boundary in which the employees can work in a more comfortable environment as per their requirements. This sense of freedom encourages the workers to think and perform efficiently without any burden which simultaneously leads to the enhancement of the company’s productivity.
The below-mentioned points will highlight some of the points which will reveal that the employees always perform better when they control their space.
- Job Satisfaction: The first thing which comes to mind after hearing the term ‘autonomy in the workplace’ is certainly job satisfaction. Most of the working-class people are either not satisfied with the working hours and the huge pile of workload. Autonomy in the organization removes all kind of limits that binds the individual with strict rules and regulations and gives the much-needed freedom and job satisfaction.
- Higher Engagement at Work: The more liberated the employee would feel the more he will be willing to work effectively. It is already scientifically proved that stress and anxiety can lead to lesser productivity and poor performance. Autonomy in work will help the employees to decide the working time and conditions as per their comfort. This freedom of work will encourage them to show commitment towards the work and get it done effectively.
- Assuage Negative Emotions: We all know how stressful the corporate working environment as become. Piled-up with lots of work to finish within a stipulated time period, employees often feel burdened due to a lack of proper work-life balance. Autonomy in work will provide the employees with much-needed freedom depriving them of any negative emotions such as depression, anxiety, stressed or feeling suicidal which will steadily enhance their productivity.
- Learning from Mistakes: Prevailing psychological balance amidst the employee's autonomy helps the employees to learn from their own mistakes instead of getting pointed out by someone else. This self-analysis will raise a concern about the efficiency of the employees which will guide him/her for self-evaluation.
- Builds Trust: Encouraging the employees to work as per their own comfort zone will build a bond of trust between the management and the employees. Without any supremacy of the higher rank holders, which is often misinterpreted as lack of trust in the workforce, employees will be more willing to take risks of their subsequent actions.
- Higher quality work: In the end, the happy and stress-free workers perform more efficiently than the works burdened with tons of work. Employee autonomy is all about the much-needed self-care and nurturing needed by employees which simultaneously benefits the organization with the enhancement of productivity.
Autonomy and self-management are a short step towards the right direction which explores motivation by incorporating a sense of freedom among the workforce. This human resource management strategy will drive the organization to fill in the existing gaps available in the work culture simultaneously encouraging the employees to give their best.