Otter CEO Foresees AI Avatars Participating in Work Meetings by 2024

By Consultants Review Team Monday, 19 February 2024

Sam Liang, CEO of Otter, a technology firm specializing in artificial intelligence (AI), has made a bold prediction, stating that by the end of this year, AI avatars will be capable of representing individuals in work meetings. As described by Liang, these avatars will possess the ability to replicate the actions, speech patterns, and problem-solving skills of the individuals they stand for. Liang, who actively participates in numerous meetings daily, revealed that the inspiration for this innovation arose from his quest for a more efficient solution. "We anticipate having a working prototype later this year," Liang told Business Insider, expressing optimism regarding the project's advancement.

The development of these AI avatars involves training them using recorded meeting notes and voice data specific to individual users. This training enables the avatars to mimic the behavior and conversational style of their human counterparts, allowing them to actively engage in meetings and respond to inquiries based on the unique perspective of the individual they represent.

In trial runs conducted by Otter, the AI avatars reportedly answered up to 90% of questions posed to them during meetings. For the remaining 10% where they faced challenges, the avatars would seek assistance from the human worker, indicating areas requiring further training.

Liang believes that integrating these AI avatars into the workplace will not only save employees time but also boost productivity. By delegating tasks such as customer support, sales, and team updates to these avatars, employees can concentrate on more strategic and creative aspects of their work, potentially leading to enhanced profitability for companies.

Nevertheless, incorporating emotional intelligence into these AI avatars presents a significant challenge. Ensuring that the avatars can effectively engage in meetings by adjusting their tone and demeanor as necessary is essential for their success.

This development signifies another notable stride in the realm of AI, which is swiftly transforming business operations worldwide. Despite the potential benefits, concerns have been raised by some individuals and organizations regarding the rapid advancement of AI. The Future of Life Institute, for instance, has called for a pause in the development of AI systems more potent than GPT-4, citing risks associated with the uncontrolled progression of AI capabilities.


Current Issue